Rental Information & Checklist
Whether you are moving around the corner or around the world, Transitions Realty LLC will provide professional, experienced and dedicated representation for your leasing and property management needs.
At all times during this process, we represent you – the property owner – and look out for your best interests, employing the highest ethical standards. Transitions Realty takes the care of your property seriously, and we are committed to making sure your investment is well cared for and in good repair while your tenants call your home their own.
Below are some of our tried-and-true methods to ensure that you will attract the best tenants and obtain the highest rental return on your property.
A home that is beautiful and obviously well cared for will inspire tenants to treat your home the same way.
Getting your property ready for rental:
• Ensure that the front entry is welcoming, the yard is well groomed, fences, decks and walkways are in good shape, gutters and downspouts are in good working order, and that there is no peeling, flaking or cracking paint on walls, trim or porches.
• Repair broken doors, locks, screens, window sash cords or cracked panes. Make sure all windows open and close properly, have screens, and lock. Have keys for all exterior doors and deadbolts. Consider rekeying all locks to the same key.
• Make sure paint is fresh and touched up and there are no cracks or chipping/peeling paint.
• Clean all carpets and floors
• Ensure that all light fixtures work and have appropriately-sized light bulbs.
• Make sure you have working smoke detectors in all areas required by law, and consider installing a carbon monoxide detector if you don’t have one.
• Check all faucets and toilets to be sure they are free of leaks and drips and are not running.
• Closets, storage areas, and garages should all be neat and organized and appear adequate.
• Clean, clean, clean – bathrooms, kitchens, including the inside of all drawers, cabinets, and appliances should be meticulously clean. Put a fresh bead of caulk on all bathtubs, showers, and vanity sinks.
• Apply for Basic Business License (DC), rental license (Montgomery County), and register property with MD Department of the Environment and order lead inspection (for MD properties built before 1978 ). Note: Transitions can help with this process.
• When you move out, have the space professionally cleaned and completely free of furnishings, left over supplies or anything else that wasn’t negotiated ahead of time. We can arrange cleaning after your departure if you need help with this.
• Leave a supply of air filters and specialty light bulbs for tenants to keep space in good repair.
• Leave manuals for appliances.
• Order utility companies to read the meter as of your move-out date and to send the final bill to us or to your forwarding address at least three days prior to your departure. DO NOT TURN OFF UTILITIES. We will advise tenants to call in their account information to the utility companies. If your property is not being immediately rented, you may leave the account open and we will order the final reading before the new tenants occupy the property.
Washington Gas 703-750-1000
WSSC (Water MD) 301-206-WSSC (9772)
For water accounts for DC properties, owners will need to call the water company (WASA) – 202-787-2000 to authorize account to be put in tenant’s name and to authorize Transitions Realty to receive notices of account and to make changes re: new tenants.
• Let your neighbors know you will be renting your home and give them contact information for Transitions Realty.
• Indicate where trash/recyclables are located and mark cans with address/unit number and indicate trash collection day(s).
• Forward all mail and leave instructions if mail is delivered while your tenant is there. It is helpful to leave several 10”x13” envelopes, self addressed and stamped for us to forward mail that slips through the PO delivery system.
• Make one full set of keys (including mailbox) for each new tenant and make one set available for Transitions Realty
This list may seem overwhelming, and it often takes an army to get everything organized and completed in a short period of time. Rest assured that Transitions Realty will be with you every step of the way as you prepare your home and we find you the perfect tenant to treat you home like their own.
Already registered? Login
FREE AUTOMATED EMAIL UPDATES
Sign in to take advantage of all this site has to offer. Save your favorite listings and searches – also receive email updates when listings you like come on the market for free!
*Contact Information NOT Shared*
Transitions Realty, LLC
5540 Connecticut Ave NW, #200
Washington, DC 20015